Sunday, January 25, 2009

Front suspension





When I assembled the suspension on the chassis I basically threw the front suspension on there just so the chassis could be mobile. Since then I've been spending a little spare time here and there to set it up a little better. Early on in the project I bought a set of urethane bushing for the front control arms. I didn't really like the way they were engineered though. The Energy Suspension brand urethane bushings sold for Ferraris have a steel sleeve in the center that the urethane bushing rotates on with a little silicone grease and that seems to work OK. These bushings here came with coaxial steel center sleeves. An inner sleeve that the bolt passes through and another sleeve around that, which fits tightly in the center of the bushing. Basically it was steel rubbing on steel which didn't seem like a good idea. I wanted longer inner sleeves anyway so I machined a set from drill rod and bought a set of bronze bushings to ride on the inner sleeves. Except for having to cut the bushings to length, they fit perfectly. The sleeves were a bit more complicated since the outside diameter of each one had to fit in a 5/8" bushing and the insides had to fit a 12mm bolt. Each length had to be custom sized to fit the mounting forks on the chassis and they all vary a little bit. A lot of futzing around for a seemingly simple job but it's coming along. I'm looking forward to attaching larger pieces to the chassis so I can see it grow again.

No comments:

Post a Comment