Sunday, March 15, 2009

front shocks





Got the bump-steer squared away so I finally came to the point where I could install the front shocks. I originally designed the chassis to accept a pair of racing Konis for the front but I later decided they're a little too rich for my blood and at that point I hadn't discovered VariShocks yet. I don't know, maybe they didn't even exist then.


Anyway, I had to make a few minor modifications to the varishocks to get them to fit. The upper bushings were just a little too wide for the chassis mount and I wasn't too eager to change the chassis. I disassembled the upper bushings, shortened the inner steel sleeve and the urethane bushing halves in a lathe. The urethane doesn't machine very well but if you're persistent.... eventually enough material was chewed off to where they were close to the correct thickness and then they were smoothed and finish sanded to size with 80 grit sand paper on a cast iron lapping table (any flat surface would have done the same job).
The bottom mount on the lower A-arm had the opposite problem. It was too wide so I lathe cut 4 Delrin plastic spacers to take up the extra space. I got the left front shock and spring mounted late today. Once the engine and other components are installed I'll have to set the ride-height and even out the corner weights of the car on scales.

No comments:

Post a Comment