Wednesday, October 1, 2008

An earlier version





1) An earlier version of the incomplete nose section. This might be the second version. I cut it up and changed the design at least 3 times. After looking at it for a few days I would cut it up and start over, much to my wife's chagrin. That's why it looks a little lumpy here and there. Initially the panels would come out of the English-wheel, the green machine in the back-ground, all smooth but when I started changing things I would get impatient and start beating panels into submission. The metal is all nice and smooth now after a lot of slapper & dolly and file work. The tape lines show where I was about to cut the middle out and change the design again.

2) Front view of the same experimental nose design. Apparently, and unfortunately, I didn't take many photos while building the body because I don't seem to have too many.

3) Rear sub-frame from the Quattroporte, which carries the differential, rear brakes and rear suspension in one package . Jaguar enthusiasts will see a resemblance to the E-Type IRS sub-frame, which I assume it was copied from. The chalk lines indicate where I was about to cut off the ends of the sub-frame. I rigidly mounted the sub-frame to the back of the new chassis, so I didn't need the ends of the sub-frame with the flexible mounts (mostly hidden from view here) and decided to eliminate them and save a little weight.

4) The posi-lock Salisbury differential with inboard brakes as removed from the Quattroporte rear sub-frame. It's basically the same diff used in several Jaguar models for many years and loved by many hot rod builders. The brakes are larger than what came on the jags and the ring & pinion gears are Gleason type. It's got a 3.54 ratio. I haven't sat down to figure out my theoretic top speed with the Tremec over-drive transmission coupled to it. We'll see what happens and if it needs to be changed I'll address that later. Making a rough guess though, It should go at least 150 MPH for now (about 250 KPH). That's good enough for a street hot rod.

No comments:

Post a Comment